Growing up in Cebu, my palette naturally longs for those two salty, MSG-laden Chinese dishes that have become a staple in every Cebuano’s diet: pork steamed rice and quail egg siomai. Nothing beats the combination of greasy pork gravy slopped unceremoniously on a bowl of white rice and 3 steamed pork and shrimp dumplings topped with half an overcooked hard-boiled quail egg. This was heaven to me.
Unfortunately, the only thing that could vaguely suggest that this meal had some nutritive value were the 5 dots of green peas drowning in the sea of brown gunk. Given my current tendency towards orthorexia, the best compromise I could come up with is veggie dumplings. It’s not quite the heaven I used to know, but in dairy-free, gluten-free land, this comes close:
- Oriental Tea House: Little Collins St, CBD (my rating: 9.5/10)
- Hu Tong Dumpling Bar: Market Lane, CBD (my rating: 9/10)
- Shanghai Village: Little Bourke St, CBD (my rating: 5/10)
- Plume: Doncaster Road, Doncaster (my rating: 9/10)
- David’s: Cecil Place, South Yarra (my rating: 9.5/10)
- Dragon Boat: Little Bourke St., CBD (my rating: 9/10)